Sunday fun day: wax painting and wood carving

Mambo everyone!

This is my first weekend at the School of Field Studies Program at Tanzania and I am happy to say we get Sundays off to relax and explore some off-campus locations!  Each week there is a list of activities and workshops to participate in that feature the touristy and not so touristy places in Tanzania.

This Sunday, I decided to have an artsy day since the art workshops here are so unique! In the morning, I attended a wax painting workshop at a local home. The people guiding us through wax painting techniques have been doing this type of art for the past 50 years and are therefore very experienced. The majority of their art work featured African culture and wildlife. This included people practicing daily activities, like going to the market, or dancing traditional dances. Some even represented certain rituals through different symbolic meanings.

In the evening, I went to a wood carving place! It was so interesting to learn, see, and be a part of the wood carving process.  A particular technique is necessary to achieve a beautiful wooden work of art.

Fransha and Elaine are already skilled wax painters

Me trying to not mess up infront of Ali

Sarah and I working hard to get the waxing technique down

The whole crew drying their wax paintings at the fire pit 

Professional painting of three women dancing

A beautiful painting of people heading home from the market

Just one of many wildlife paintings at that house

Working hard at the wood carving place

We were all successful in making our wooden animals with a little help by the professionals! 

They used mango trees that were licensed to be cut down and carved to make these beautiful animals and other statues    

Always excited to share more next time!

Baadaye!